Diet for High Cholesterol in Children
High cholesterol treatment with a diet is one of the best ways. Following a healthy meal plan along with some regular exercises at home helps in maintaining good cholesterol levels. In this article, there is a brief discussion on the diet for high cholesterol in children. Read on to know more.
High cholesterol in children’s diet
- Include foods low in cholesterol, trans fat, saturated fat and total fat: The amount of intake of total fat a kid consumes must be less than or about 30% of daily total calories. This doesn’t apply for kids under the age group of 2 years. Saturated fat needs to be less than 10 percent of the daily total calories where as the trans fat must be avoided. For kids in the group with high-risk, dietary cholesterol must be restricted to 200 mg and 7 percent of total calories a day.
- Include a variety of foods in your kids diet so that they can get all the required nutrient supplements.
- Breakfast: Some of the healthy foods that must be included in the diet for high cholesterol in childreninclude fruits, oatmeal, yogurt and cereal. Serve skim milk or 1 percent milk rather than the whole milk or 2 percent milk.
- Lunch and dinner: Serve grilled foods or baked foods instead of fried ones. Use whole-grains rolls and breads to prepare a healthier sandwich. Offer whole-grain crackers with stew chili and soups. Prepare skinless poultry, fish, rice, beans and pasta or other dishes in your diet for lunch and dinner. Always serve fresh fruit (along with the skin) along with meals.
- Snack time: Include cereals, breads, vegetables and fruits and prepare great snacks for kids. Make sure that kids avoid soft drinks, sodas, fried foods and other unhealthy foods.
- Exercise: Regular exercise is also essential for maintaining a healthy life. This helps in burning calories and fat ad in removing toxins in the form of sweat. Thus, include regular aerobic exercises such as swimming, walking, running and biking. This helps in raising the good cholesterol or HDL levels and in lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease.
The above article briefly discusses about the diet for high cholesterol in children. Diet as a treatment for high cholesterol is the initial method for kids at a risk of cardiovascular disease. Children as young as eight years need to start the drug treatment and consult their doctor.