Flaxseed Oil for Cholesterol
High cholesterol levels in the blood can increase one’s risk of developing heart attack or strokes. One of the best ways to treat high levels of cholesterol or maintain low levels of cholesterol is by maintaining a healthy eating habit and regular exercise. Including flaxseed oil or flaxseed rich in omega-3 fatty acids in your diet could be an effective method to lower the dangerous levels of cholesterol. Flaxseed oil for cholesterol is helpful in lowering high levels of cholesterol. In this article, there is a brief discussion on how to use flaxseed for lowering cholesterol levels.
Flaxseed for cholesterol
- Use one tablespoon of flaxseed oil every day in your diet to treat the symptoms of high cholesterol levels.
- Mix the flaxseed oil with a portion of the cottage cheese or a large glass of any juice. The protein inside the cottage cheese gets binded to the flaxseed oil and makes it easier for the body to absorb.
- You can also make a salad dressing using this flaxseed oil for treating cholesterol problems. Include equal parts of olive oil and flaxseed oil, add some mustard and freshly squeezed lemon juice. Mix well and dress the greens for a more healthy meal.
- You can also use whole flaxseeds, grind them in a coffee grinder, add the contents to yogurt, breakfast cereal or bread dough. Intake of flaxseed in this grinded form provides high amounts of essential fiber to the body, as well as provides cholesterol-lowering properties. Place the unused ground flaxseeds either in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Exercising several times in a week helps to lower the cholesterol levels. The flaxseed oil might help o lower the cholesterol level but will not do this alone. Cardiovascular exercises can help in improving the cholesterol levels and overall health.
- A tablespoon of this flaxseed oil contains about 130 calories. To lower the high levels of cholesterol reduce the intake of fat content in the diet. Sparingly eat fat foods while using flaxseed oil.
Tips while using flaxseed oil:
- For the first purchase of the flaxseed oil supplement, buy a small bottle. This way you can determine how much amount you use in the first 1-2 weeks and replenish the oil as needed. This is because this oil of flaxseed becomes rancid very quickly.
- Place the flaxseed oil in the refrigerator in an opaque container to prevent from spoiling. Exposure of the oil to light may cause it to breakdown and make it less effective. Throw away the oil if you notice any unpleasant odor.
The above article discusses about the flaxseed oil for cholesterol. Use the oil in approximate dosage by following the instructions properly to lower the high levels of cholesterol.