Cholestrol

Cholesterol Facts

Cholesterol is a waxy and fatty substance that is an essential metabolite for body functioning. About 75% of the cholesterol is produced by the liver and the remaining 25% is obtained through the diet we eat. The following article enlists

cholesterol facts

through which you can even understand better about cholesterol and the hidden facts behind this important component.

Listed below are the cholesterol facts:

  • Cholesterol is present in two main forms in the body i.e High Density Lipoprotein (LDL) and Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL).
  • LDL cholesterol is a bad form of cholesterol that transports cholesterol from the liver to the other body parts. It gradually accumulates on the walls of blood vessels and leads to blood vessel narrowing called atherosclerosis. This is a severe health complication that causes chest pain, heart stroke, leg pains and heart attacks. Since this form of cholesterol causes many bad effects, it is called bad form of cholesterol.
  • HDL cholesterol is a good form of cholesterol that transports cholesterol to the liver where it is made into simpler substance. In this way it helps in counteracting the bad cholesterol effects. This is the reason it is called good cholesterol.
  • The important cholesterol fact is that it is used in formation of certain body hormones, vitamin D and cell membranes. Although it is very important for the body, accumulation of bad cholesterol levels causes health problems.
  • The body can produce sufficient amount of cholesterol the body system needs. Many of the health organizations suggest that one should not consume more than 300 mg of cholesterol a day. It is good to prefer only 200 mg of cholesterol daily.
  • Cholesterol is mostly present in animal foods. Foods like seafood, dairy products, poultry, red meat and egg yolks contain large amounts of cholesterol.
  • Blood cholesterol levels can be improved and normalized by the type of diet you take. Foods rich in soluble fiber should be more preferred in the diet.
  • Research studies have revealed that performing regular exercises can help lower bad cholesterol and raise good cholesterol levels in the bloodstream.

These are some of the cholesterol facts that helps you to read, understand and properly analyze the compound.
 

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *