Tips for Reducing Triglycerides
Triglycerides are a form of fats found in foods. It’s natural for the body to have certain amount of triglycerides, but an unhealthy diet and overeating increases its level in a person. Elevated levels of triglycerides can be detected by routine blood tests.
High levels can cause diabetes, heart disease and other cardiovascular diseases. Few people choose to lower high triglycerides with medication. There are many ways to reduce levels naturally and improve your health. This article gives information about tips for reducing triglycerides.
Tips for Reducing Cholesterol
The following are some instructions which help in reducing cholesterol:
- Stay active. To reduce your high levels naturally, maintain an active lifestyle. Start to work routinely and exercise at least 3 or 4 times a week. Exercise can be done for about 30 minutes. Exercises include aerobic/cardio workouts, power walking, playing sports or jogging.
- Reduce food portions you take. Overeating or taking snacks whole day can increase calorie levels and fat intake, resulting in high triglycerides. Reduce daily calorie intake and eat smaller meals.
- Eat foods which contain low fat. Look out for food labels and select foods with low fat. This includes foods that are low in trans fat and saturated fat. Purchase low-fat dairy products, lean meats and try to avoid fast-food chains.
- Choose healthy foods such as omega-3 rich foods (baked fish, salmon), high fiber foods (vegetables and fruits) and whole grains.
- Eliminate sugar. Moderate amounts of sugar has nutritional value. However, if you want to reduce triglycerides level naturally, remove sugar temporarily from your diet. Sugary foods include cookies, soda, pastries and candy. Over-consumption of sweets can increase triglycerides or blood fat.
- Limit alcohol. Reduce or completely eliminate intake of alcohol, if you are trying to reduce high triglycerides naturally. It is better to limit your drink to one alcoholic beverage per day.
Medications also help, but it is in our hands to reduce high triglycerides naturally.