Low Cholesterol Diet Sample: How to Prepare Low Cholesterol Foods
A diet low in fat and cholesterol and rich in soluble fiber is known as a low cholesterol diet. High cholesterol is the main cause for many heart diseases, kidney and liver ailments. Thus, maintaining a low cholesterol diet will help to prevent many health problems and lead a healthy life.
One can manage cholesterol effectively by maintaining a certain lifestyle like regular exercise and by taking good dietary intake. The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) suggests that an adult diet should contain the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of fruits
- 2½ cups of vegetables
- 6 ounces of grain which include three ounces of whole grains
- 3 cups of low fat dairy products
Low cholesterol diet sample:
Many people have the conception that nutritious food is often bland and tasteless. But, the following low cholesterol diet sample will change your mind for sure.
- White Bean, Broccoli Rabe & Fontina Pasta
- 8 ounces of fusilli or whole wheat shells
- 1½ cups of vegetable broth or sodium
- 8 cups of baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil (extra)
- 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- 1.19 ounces of rinsed cannellini beans
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of red-wine vinegar
- ¼ tablespoon of fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup of shredded fontina cheese
- ½ tablespoon of salt
Now, take a large pot with water, then add pasta, cook and stir it occasionally. During the last 2-3 minutes, add baby spinach, stir it and drain. Mix the flour and broth in a small bowl, until it become smooth. Now, heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat, then add garlic and cook till it becomes fragrant. Then, add the broth mixture then simmer and keep stirring until it thickens. Ensure that no lumps are formed.
After that, add vinegar, beans, pepper, salt, drained spinach, pasta and cook. Keep stirring till the pasta becomes completely coated. Then, remove from the heat and add cheese, keep stirring until it melts. That’s it, you’ve cooked the best low cholesterol food. Serve hot along with whole wheat bread.