Green Tea for Cholesterol- Benefits
Green tea is obtained from leaves of camellia sinensis. Taking green tea for cholesterol reduction proves to be very effective. It enhances HDL levels and brings downs the levels of LDL and triglycerides in the body.
Benefits of Taking Green Tea for Cholesterol Reduction
- Taking green tea helps to reduce total cholesterol and LDL levels in the body. Even though the intake of fats is high it helps in keeping the level of cholesterol normal.
- It lowers the fat level by decreasing its absorption in the intestine, while increasing rate of expulsion.
- It prevents the conversion of LDL to dangerous oxidized form. This oxidized form has a greater ability to adhere to the walls of arteries. Oxidized LDL is also the major factor for developing heart disease. Therefore, taking green tea helps to maintain arteries free from plaque and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- It protects the liver from damage due to high cholesterol. It enhances the elimination of excess fats in bile. It prevents heart blockages that are caused due to LDL cholesterol.
- Green tea contains catechins which are flavonoids with antioxidant properties. Antioxidant property of this tea helps in preventing the oxidation of LDL.
- It has anti inflammatory properties. This property helps to protect the heart and improves its overall function.
- It promotes weight loss. An important component in this tea is polyphenols. These polyphenols influence enzymes that are effective for metabolism. Due to increased metabolism, more and more calories are burned leading to weight loss. Loss of weight means that cholesterol levels are also reduced. Therefore, green tea has a property of weight loss and cholesterol reduction.
- Abnormally formed blood clots are a cause for heart attacks. Therefore, taking green tea for cholesterol will help prevent abnormal blood clot formation by blocking clotting agents.
- About 5 cups a day is suggested. If there is an inconvenience taking it then one can switch over to taking supplements containing tea extracts.