Naturally Reducing Cholesterol
Taking drugs for reduction of cholesterol causes serious side effects. Therefore, choosing a way of naturally reducing cholesterol is best. The natural way simply includes diet and lifestyle changes.
Diet for Naturally Reducing Cholesterol
- Include a diet that is rich in fiber. Fiber containing foods include whole grains, vegetables, oats, beans and fruits. This fiber binds to the cholesterol and expels it out from the body.
- Avoid saturated fat containing foods. Animal fats should be excluded from the diet. Use olive oil for cooking.
- Fish oil containing omega 3 fats should be taken as it lowers the blood pressure and decreases the incidence of heart disease. Safflower oil, soybean oil and canola oil are rich in these fats.
- Plant sterols are compounds that occur naturally in some plants. They are structurally similar to cholesterol. As they are similar in structure they prevent absorption of cholesterol from the intestine.
- Alfalfa sprouts have a substance saponin, this substance inhibits plaque formation on arteries.
- Pectin a fiber found in carrots is effective for lowering fat level. Strawberries, citrus and apple are few other foods that contain this fiber.
- Mushrooms contain a compound lentinan that is effective for reduction of cholesterol. Not only is it helpful in lowering fat but also vital for immune function.
Herbs for Naturally Reducing Cholesterol
Leaf extract of it enhances production of bile, inhibits cholesterol synthesis and eliminates cholesterol from the body.
It is a gum obtained from myrrh tree. It is effective in reducing triglycerides and ldl to about 12%. It binds to cholesterol and eliminates it before it actually enters the blood stream.
It has cholesterol reducing properties due to the presence of compound allicin. This compound reduces LDL( bad cholesterol) and improves HDL (good cholesterol) levels.
Other Ways for Reducing Cholesterol
Few other ways include:
- Regular exercising for about 30 minutes a day is helpful in increasing good cholesterol levels.
- Avoid smoking
By following the above mentioned points one can naturally reduce cholesterol.